HOW DO YOU GET RELEIF FROM PREMENSTRUAL SUFFERING ???
- Many treatments have been tried to ease the symptoms of PMS .No treatment works for every women.You may need to try different ones to see what works for you
- Don’t drink alcohol
- No to smoking
- No to salty foods ,sugary snacks
- No caffeine
- No stress
- Take regular ,frequent (2-3hrly) ,small ,balanced meals, rich in complex carbohydrates .Take fruits, fresh veggies and whole grains
- Do regular physical exercise for a period of one hour at least .Muscle strengthening activity on 2-3 days a week
- Regular undisturbed sleep of 8 hrs is essential
- Yoga and meditation to combat stress
- Proper treatment of chronic diseases if you are suffering from eg: asthma ,diabetes,migraine etc
In moderate and severe grade of premenstrual symptoms other than above said life style measures , medicines will help you to recover from suffering
- Paracetamol or NSAID drug will relieves the pain
- Vitamins and minerals help in fighting with free radicle damage
- New generation contraceptive pills – drosperinone ,desogestrel,norgestimate or gestodene containing pills e.g.: Yasmin ,cilest etc. will improve the symptoms ( cyclically or sequentially)
IN SEVERE PMS : selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) taken continuously or just during the luteal phase will help from suffering .3 months to 1 year treatment may solve the problems .(fluxeteine 20 mg , citalopram 20 mg etc )
- Above said measures help you in suffering from PMS
- Cognitive and behavioural therapy have role in the management of PMS
PREMENSTRUAL DYSPHORIC DISORDER: (PMDD)
- Brain chemical called serotonin may play a role in PMDD. It is the severe form of PMS .
- Women may present with feeling of sadness,thoughts of suicide ,anxiety,panic attacks,mood swings ,frequent crying,lasting irritability or anger,lack of interest in daily activities and relationships,trouble thinking and focusing,tiredness,food cravings,trouble in sleeping etc.
- You must have 5 or more symptoms to be diagnosed as PMDD.Symptoms occur during the week before your period and disappear after bleeding starts
- Lifestyle changes ,SSRI ‘s ( sertraline,fluoxetine,paroxetine) ,OCP’s like yaz are useful to treat PMDD .
- Individual counselling,group counselling and stress management may also help in releaving the symptoms
- Women complain about premenstrual syndrome ,but I think of it as the only time of the month that I can be myself -Roseanne Barr