go to link Calcium supplementation in second and third trimesters of pregnancy(4-9 months of pregnancy)and lactation period is essential for following reasons
- Decrease the risk of pregnancy induced hypertension (B.P).
- Protects against low birth weight in newborn
- Prevent hypertension in the next generation.
- Bone and skeleton development of newborn
- Teeth development of newborn
- Calcium is required for muscle contractions of mother and baby
- Helps in transmission of signals or messages from nerves to brain of mother and baby.
- For normal blood clotting abilities do require calcium
- For normal heart rhythm
- Chronic auto immunological disorders
- Low molecular weight heparin therapy during pregnancy
- Lactose intolerence
- Women who prefer to skip milk, milk products due to personal preference -The calcium supplementation should be -1000 mg per day in pregnancy.
Calcium deficiency leads to
- Leg cramps in the mother
- Increased blood pressure in mother
- Bone defects in baby
- Clotting abnormalities
- Decreased tone of muscle(hypotonia)-Flabby babies
Rich source of calcium
- salmon fish
- calcium daily requirement in pregnancy is about 1000 -2000 mg per day.
- 8 ounce glasses of milk equals to 1000mg of calcium.
- calcium supplements available in two forms-calcium citrate and calcium carbonate.
- calcium citrate can be taken with empty stomach tooo.
- calcium corbonate should be taken with food only for its better action and it less expensive than citrate component of calcium .
- 500mg twice a day is required.
- Should not take more than 2500 mg of calcium per day in pregnancy.
- Excess calcium intake leads to kidney stones formation .
- Constipation ,bloating of abdomen are few of side effects of pregnancy