WHAT IS STRESS?
- It’s a body reaction to the difficult situation or demand or threat .
- It is a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or demanding situations
- Psychological and physiological imbalance are effects of stress
WHAT HAPPENS IN STRESS ?
- When people feel stressed by something going on around dem ,their bodies react by releasing chemicals in to the blood
- Adrenaline and cortisol are the hormones released from body during stress periods
- These hormones increases the temperature,pulse rate,blood pressure,respiratory rate.Sense becomes sharper ,muscles become stiffer
- These will help in increasing your strength and stamina ,speeds your reaction time and increase your concentration
- It prepares you to either fight or flee from situation or difficulty
- It is the protective mechanism by body to the stress called stress response
BENEFITS OF STRESS :
- Minimum amount of stress is good for life
- It helps you stay focused ,energetic and alert
- It gives additional strength to perform activity or to execute or solve the situation accordingly .For example It drives you to study for an exam , during presentation at work ,slam on the brakes to avoid an accident
STRESS BEYOND A POINT :
But beyond a certain point ,stress stops being helpful,it starts causing major damage to health
- There by it effects mood ,your productivity at home and work front ,your relationships and quality of life
- Chronic stress is more dangerous
- If you are repeatedly exposed to this type of stress ,body cannot cope up with the protective mechanism ( so called stress response ) ,it leads to serious health problems
SIDE EFFECTS OF STRESS :
- Immunity levels decreases , you are more vulnerable to infections likes upper respiratory tract infections-frequent cough ,cold etc
- It upsets ur digestion . You may feel nauseated , frequent belching ,diarrhoea /constipation and u may suffer from gastritis
- women may suffer from menstrual irregularities ,PCOS ,infertility problems .There may be decrease in sexual drive
- Palpitations ( feeling of own heartbeat) ,heart attack risk increases with the load of stress
- Chronic stress makes the alterations in connections between the neurons in your brain .It leads to alterations in release of amount and type of hormones too,all will increases the risk of stroke ,anxiety,depression and other mental health problems
- Behavioral symptoms like eating more or less ,sleep disturbances, tooo much sleep or too less sleep .Using more cigarettes,alcohol , drugs – these habits worsen the situation.Nail biting is a nervous habit
- skin diseases like eczema precipitates with stress .Autoimmune diseases also exacerbates during stress .
- Weight gain ,increased signs of aging ,thinking and memory problems ,irritability,anger,neglecting responsibilities,constant worrying ,poor judgement,decrease concentration,increased negativity etc are the effects of chronic stress ( stress of long duration)
IS THE STRESS CAN BE MEASURED ? YES !!!!
- Stress can be measured by polygraphs
- Percieved stress scale( PSS) is a subjective tool for stress measurement
- Mesuring the cortisol levels from hair will gives 60-90 days baseline stress levels of an individuals .It is most popular method in clinics .
- Blood pressure changes ,skin temperature , galvanic skin response are useful to measure stress