Distracting from work ? Irritated ? From vulval itch !!! Then know the facts
Here are the common reasons which causes vulval itch
- Usually infective vaginal discharge causes itching of vulva and vagina.
- Yeast infection(candidiasis) ,Protozoan infection (trichomonas infection) causes itching more commonly .
- To know more about Vaginal Discharge CLICK HERE
ITCHING OF VULVA AND VAGINA WITHOUT VAGINAL DISCHARGE
GENERAL ITCHING :
- Women experiences itching all over body including vulva .
- Seen in diseases like – Jaundice , Severe Kidney disease (uraemia )
- Few drugs causes itching and rash as a side effect
SKIN DISEASES NOT SPECIFIC TO THE VULVA :
- Psoriasis,Seborrhoeic dermatitis ,Scabies ,Apocrine miliaria (fox fordyce disease)-In These skin diseases itching of vulva is a associated symptom.
- Apocrine miliaria- commonly it occurs due to pricking heat .Changes in the function of apocrine glands or blocking of ducts of these glands produces skin coloured or red papules
ANIMAL PARASITES :
- Pediculosis ( body lice ) causes itching of pubis area
DISEASES OF RECTUM AND ANUS :
- Fecal incontinence,Fissure in ano ,Haemorrhoids- Some times causes itching at perineal area, women would be confused with vulval itch
- Thread worm (Enterobius) infection causes itching of vulva
CONDITIONS OF URINARY TRACT :
- Kidney diseases –
In above said conditions glycosuria is a common finding ( sugar in urine ) due to lower renal threshold.It causes itching of vulva.
Glycosuria without hyperglycaemia ( raised blood sugar levels) also causes itching (pruritus ) vulva
- Few women complains ,itching of vagina
- The main reason for itch is low estrogen levels
- Skin becomes thin and losses its elasticity
SKIN SENSITIVITY :
- Antiseptic lotions -containing phenols or cresols
- Varnish on nails of women also causes itch of vagina
- Tight fitting clothes
- Nylon or synthetic material undergarments increases the skin sensitivity causes itching
- Soaps, detergents used in washing the garments and not being rinsed thoroughly causes itching
- local anaesthetic preparations or benzocaine ,when used over vulva causes allergic reactions .They should be avoided
- Few of rubber or chemical component of contraceptives ( vaginal caps ,diaphragm condoms of male partner ) causes itching of vagina
- Urticarial conditions of vulva causes itching
DEFECIENCY STATES :
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B2 ( Riboflavin )
- Vitamin B9 ( Folic acid )
- Vitamin B12 (Methyl cobalamin )
- Iron ( Fe )
- Hydrochloric acid ( Hcl ) in stomach
- Defeciency of above causes vulvar lesions that vary from slight redness or pallor & edema to hyperkeratotic epethelial disorder .
- Vulval itching is a symptom in these defeciency states .
- Hyperkeratotic epithelial disorder is a irreversible condition,so defeciencies are treated as soon as recognised
NEURO DERMATITIS :
- Nervous fatigue
- Lack of sleep – increases the risk of vulval itch
- Itch -Scratch-Itch cycle continues
- Fleeting minor lesion which heals quickly ,leaves the habit of scratching behind
BEGNIGN EPETHELIAL LESIONS OF VULVA :
Few lesions causes itching of vulva
MALIGNANT LESIONS :
Squamous cell carcinoma of vulva causes itching vulva
INSECT BITES :
Few insect bites causes itching of vulva
varicosities near vulvar area causes itching due to blood stasis and thinning of skin over varicosities
HOW WE CAN CONTROL AND GET RELEIF FROM VULVAL ITCH :
- Your health care provider after proper examination asks few tests like
- Vaginal swab culture ,Microscopy of vaginal secretions
- General tests like urine examination, blood sugar levels,complete blood picture,Liver related tests ,kidney related tests,skin biopsy in rare conditions
- Number and type of test varies depending on individual symptoms ,signs and examination findings .
LITTLE CARE ALLEVIATE THE PROBLEM
- General measures : prefer to wear loose fitting cloths . Skirts are preferred over pants.Stockings are preferred over tights.
- Use cotton under garments ,that has to be regularly washed and rinsed thoroughly, changing of garments twice a day.
- Advised to keep the vulva well aerated
- Avoid toilet paper usage
- Oral antihistamines helpful to alleviate the symptoms
- Sleep can be promoted with sedatives in severe cases
- Yeast infections treated with fungal preparations
- Trichomanas infections treated with metronidazole components
- Albendazole preparations eradicates the roundworm infections
- Strict blood sugar control with diet , exercise, hypoglycaemic drugs&insulin
- Vitamin supplements Vit A,B properly corrected .
- Iron deficiency anemia is properly treated jaundice and kidney diseases managed accordingly
- Hydrocortisone local preparations are useful
- Yoghurt and proprietary preparations containing lactobacilli have not been established to be beneficial
- Local anaesthetic applications cannot be encouraged