Usually vaginal discharge is blood stained during menstrual period
- Greenish discharges often called as white discharge as a general term leucorhoea
Vulva and vargina are normally moistered by secretions
Vulvar odour is normal secondary sex charecter
Simple regular washing is necessary for hygienic purpose
Deodorant powders, sprays are harmful to vagina they are not advisable
In below said situation white discharge will increase, that is considered as normal secrection
- At the time of egg release (usually 14th day of regular menstrual cycle )
- Few days pre menstrually
- During pregnancy
- During sexual excitement
White discharge stains clothing and if the lady fails to bath and change frequently causes excoariation and soreness of vulva
These people will experience excessive white discharge:
- Prolonged ill health
- Anxiety states
- sedantary lifestyle
- standing long periods in hot weather
- oral contraceptive pill user
Regular douching of vagina is not advisable
It eliminates natural protective mechanisms of vulva and vagina
Vaginal discharge contains mucous ,exfoliated cells of cervix ,endometrial cells and lacto bacilli bacteria.
Vaginal discharge lubricates the vagina and helps in intercourse.Protect the vagina from infections.
Lactobacilli are normal inhabitant bacteria of vagina.They ferment glycogen in to lactic acid in vaginal epithelium.This acidic PH of vagina 4.5 prevents the infections ,it protects against the pathogenic bacteria.
The quality ,amount and type of vaginal discharge varies between individuals,their stage of menstrual cycle and their reproductive age.
Vaginal Yeast ,Bacteria and Sexually transmitted infections alter the components,quality and amount of vaginal discharge.
Increased amount of vaginaldischarge
Altered colour of discharge–These are signs of infection,approach your healthcare provider.
ABNORMAL VAGINAL DISCHARGE
- Antibiotic use
- Vaginal douching
- Unprotected sex
- IUCD users
- Decreased immunity levels- Seen in long standing systemic diseases like diabetes.
- Above said conditions increase the risk of vaginal infections.
BACTERIAL INFECTIONS OF VAGINA:
- Common infection of vagina,the causative organism is Gardinella Vaginalis.
- Common during child bearing age .
- 40-50% of infections are due to Gardinella Vagina.
- It is an anaerobic bacteria ,gram negative bacilli(rods)
- It is not sexually transmitted disease
Women with this infection presents with
- Thin grey discharge with strong fishy odour without itching .
- Infection is confirmed with
- 1)Examination of vaginal secretions under microscopy – clue cells are diagnostic.
- 2)By adding 2%KOH to vaginal secretions gives strong fishy odour , called whiff test.
- Treated with – Oral or Intravaginal Antibiotics
- Oral or Intravaginal Latobacillus
- Local hygiene and treating the risk factors are helpful.
YEAST INFECTIONS OF VAGINA:
- 75% women in her lifetime suffer from candida infection atleast once.
- It is not sexually transmitted disease.
- Women experiences white,curdy discharge with intense itching .Odourless discharge.Soreness of vulva&vagina makes coitus painful.
- Infection is confirmed with microscopic examination of vaginal secretions
- Oral or intavaginal antifungal tablets or vaginal gel relieves the symptoms and controls the infection
TRICHOMONAS VAGINITIS: PROTOZOAL INFECTION
- This Infection is sexually transmitted (skin -skin contact,vagina-penis,penis-vagina contact )
- women infected with this organism presents with yellow-green vaginal discharge with musty odour .Women experiences itching ,burning of vagina ,burning of urine and low abdominal pain.
- Strawberry type of cervix is a feature of this infection
- Microscopy and culture of vaginal secretions confirms trichomonal infection.
- Oral/ vaginal antibiotics control the infection .
CHLAMYDIA AND GONOCOCCUS INFECTION:
- These organisms are responsible for purulent vaginal discharge .
- Infection with these organisms are sexually transmitted.
- They invade up in to the uterine endometrium, fellopian tube and causes pelvic inflammatory disease.
CONSULT DOCTOR WHEN WOMEN GETS
- Excessive vaginal discharge
- Altered color of discharge
- Malodour discharge
- Itching of Vulva and Vagina
- Soreness/ irritation/burning of vulva and vagina
- Rash or ulcer over vulva
- pain during intercourse